Wednesday, February 28, 2007

First Trip Diary

So, we went on our first overnight trip with Josh this past weekend. OK, it was only for 2 nights to San Diego, but it was still quite the endeavor for us rookie parents.

We could barely fit everything we needed into our Highlander. I don't know how some of you managed to fly with infants.

We had a great suite at a hotel right on Mission Bay. Having a full kitchen and a separate bedroom was definitely a huge plus. And the fact that Josh is happy in his new booster seat and loves to watch Baby Einstein videos was also key. The hotel provided us with a crib, which Josh didn't seem to mind. He pretty much napped, ate, slept, etc. on his usual schedule. We even managed to time the travel with his naps, and he slept pretty much the whole time in the car.

By the way, I was actually supposed to be attending a medical conference, but I probably ended up attending 25% of it. Sounds like college, huh? :) All in all, it was a great trip, a much-needed break for me and Joyce. I was worried that it would be more draining than refreshing, but it turned out to be just what we needed. I'm still a bit hesitant to fly with Josh at this age, but we're definitely planning more road trips. Anyone want to go to Yosemite this summer?

2 comments:

jin said...

Fantastic - I'm glad you and Joyce had a great time. Again, I'm not against traveling with kids and I think you and Joyce should enjoy your times and travels with Josh. Go ahead and fly - if he sleeps in the car, he may sleep on the plane, especially if you can schedule your departure time around his normal nap time. UNC just lost again - pretty pitiful - all that talent & no execution.

Jen Kim said...

Hi Brian,

Sorry to be MIA. I'm finishing up my term and have been a bit busy with work as well. Sigh... when will I learn to slow down? Speaking of... I may be up for Yosemite this summer! I'm actually coming out to CA next weekend to ski at Mammouth and back again in May. I'll give you a call later in the spring. By the way, Josh is growing quickly! He's looking quite alert and sounds a bit unlike his father- well-behaved. :)