Thursday, August 2, 2007

Top 10 father quotes


I think I like #6 and 7 the best.



1. "It is admirable for a man to take his son fishing, but there is a special place in heaven for the father who takes his daughter shopping." -John Sinor
2. "They don't grade fathers, but if your daughter's a stripper, you f—ked up!" -Chris Rock
3. "Sherman made the terrible discovery that men make about their fathers sooner or later... that the man before him was not an aging father but a boy, a boy much like himself, a boy who grew up and had a child of his own and, as best he could... adopted a role called 'Being a Father' so that his child would have something mythical and infinitely important: a Protector, who would keep a lid on all the chaotic and catastrophic possibilities of life." -Tom Wolfe, The Bonfire of the Vanities
4. "Whatever you are, be a good one." -Abraham Lincoln
5. "My mother protected me from the world, and my father threatened me with it." -Quentin Crisp
6. "There must be many fathers around the country who have experienced the cruelest, most crushing rejection of all: Their children have ended up supporting the wrong team." -Nick Hornby
7. "My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, 'You're tearing up the grass.' 'We're not raising grass,' Dad would reply. 'We're raising boys.' " -Harmon Killebrew
8. "You don't put kids under surveillance: It might frighten you. Parents should sit tall in the saddle and look upon their troops with a noble and benevolent and extremely nearsighted gaze." -Garrison Keillor
9. "A man that doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man." -Marlon Brando as Don Corleone in The Godfather
10. "When I was a boy of 14 my father was so ignorant that I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in only 7 years." -Mark Twain
11. "Certain is it that there is no kind of affection so purely angelic as of a father to a daughter. In love to our wives there is desire; to our sons, ambition; but to our daughters there is something which there are no words to express." -Joseph Addison

2 comments:

Betty said...

I read #1 aloud to A, and he ha-ha-ed...and then he started worrying about having to take Josephine shopping soon. :)

Unknown said...

what a great list (i liked the last one esp). an even greater picture, too.