Friday, January 5, 2007

My mid-season review


OK, since most of you are from Duke and I'd like to generate some discussion on the blog, here are my thoughts on the team so far.
Coming into the year, it was hard to expect much, having lost most of our offense and only returning one junior and a bunch of kids. So to see the team with only one loss entering ACC play has to be considered a success. Although it's been a struggle to put up points, the defense has been solid and we've beaten some quality opponents.
Demarcus has looked great, although his small stature sometimes limits him near the basket. The freshmen have been great so far. Scheyer seems to have a good outside stroke with more athleticism and all-around game than JJ. I think Henderson may be the best athlete on the team, but he needs more seasoning. And Lance Thomas has been a much-needed banger.
Dave McClure has been a pleasant surprise, too. He seems to do a little bit of everything to help us win.
The real enigma to me is Josh McRoberts. I can't decide if he's a highly-skilled big man who can everything on the floor, or if he's too soft with an inconsistent shot and no go-to moves. While his passing and vision seem excellent, I'm just not convinced he can carry the team or can be counted on in the crunch. What do y'all think?
The ACC should be a good testing ground for our young team. I have to admit that I'm afraid of Carolina, though. They are ridiculously loaded this year. Since we probably have to wait til next year to really be serious contenders, I'll just have to root for the historic 16-1 upset of UNC in the tourney.
Everyone, please comment/post/read regularly!!! Thanks.

6 comments:

Eric Lim said...

I don't think we can have really high expectations for this year's team, although they are winning more than I expected. Scheyer reminds me more of Billy McCaffrey with a better stroke than J.J. Paulus is finally playing well, and where would we be w/o Nelson? That guy's been huge for us. McRoberts is truly the enigma you say he is. It looks like he's starting to figure out how to move around the paint without travelling, and he's definitely becoming a bit more agressive lately, but we just have to see if he can be strong around the basket on a consistent basis. That is the key. I'm a bit disappointed in the so-called "athleticism" of this team. After last year's team, I was hoping for a much more athletic team. Henderson and Nelson are there, but can someone tell me why Lance Thomas get's blocked all the time? And Zoubek? All I see is the second coming of Casey Sanders. Let's see what happens come tournament time, but if we are going to make any type of run, our defense will have to carry us. As long as we limit those darn backdoor layups.

Snail said...

This is always the time of year when I wish I had ESPN... (or at least a la carte cable)

sandra said...

me, too, sounil. i have been so out of the loop in michigan without cable. i can't follow brian and eric's analyses at all. but at least next year will be fun when dave does his sports fellowship at duke and will hopefully get to treat the team. i have no idea what perks that may involve - i'm hoping a lot!!!!

paikdaddy said...

Sport fellowship?! Duke?! What are you talking about, Sandra? Is Dave living out my dream?

And you guys need to make some room in the budget for cable. How else are your kids going to learn the basics of man-to-man D, the high-low post, you know, the really important things in lfe? Seriously, do the kids need all those books and Baby Einstein videos? :)

dsy said...

sandra

that's great that you guys are coming. i figured that if i stayed around long enough, everyone would eventually come back to durham.

btw, for those of you we haven't told, julie is with child. i think it's mine. i guess things that happen in vegas don't necessarily stay in vegas.

did anyone see me with my duke lacrosse shirt at the mercedes championship on sunday? aloha from maui.

edsuh said...

dave... wow TMI... thought it was bad enough when we let it known that linda was pregnant... and that we started off the new year with a bang... that vegas comment was pretty funny...

BTW... McRoberts is pretty easy... he's the arvydas (he's not "my"vydas, or "your"vydas, he's arvydas...)sabonis of the NCAA's... sad thing is... he doesn't have bad knees... so much potential... maybe he'll find a small bit of it...

you guys need a point... badly. paulus is doofy... carolina has 3 points that are better than paulus.

more sad... you guys don't have cable?!?!... yeah... i'd pretty much DIE... no ohio state football, carolina basketball?... yeah... stick a fork in me, cuz i'd be DONE... :)

anyone else looking forward to this year's UNC-Duke game? :)