Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Poop

I recently visited with a friend and found that her daughter of 15 months has had diarrhea for 9 days! More amazingly, it has been diagnosed as c. diff and she was just started on flagyl. (It's a bacteria in the stool usu. after taking antibiotics but usu. in adults, I think). Have any of you heard of such a thing in kids? I guess with daycare, you can have just about anything happen. If you guys have any advice as to what to feed her child or what to do with the horrible, raw, rash, it would be appreciated.

I will eventually give a more thorough update on all the wonderful things going on in my life, but I need some time to think of a good story. For now, at least you know that I occupy my time by worrying about poop. Kids can break your heart sometimes. ....

2 comments:

paikdaddy said...

Jen! You're alive! I thought we lost you after your first post. :)

With regards to your question, your friend's daughter should recover pretty quickly on the flagyl, usually 2-4 days. Lactose-free diet for a week or two may help. BRAT diet may also help initially. Hydration is obviously key. As for the rash, lots of diaper cream and frequent diaper changes. Washing with warm water and soap will probably be less irritating than wipes, also.
Hope that helps. Post again soon!

Jen Kim said...

Thanks Dr. Paik, I appreciate it. Just an idea, but is there something where you get an email alert if there is a new post. Xanga has that feature where you subscribe.... Might make others check more frequently. Hugs!